Saturday, May 5, 2007

Favorite Educational Software

Educational software can be a wonderful tool for a teacher to use. However, it is hard to know what software is more helpful than others. In this class, I reviewed many types of educational software. Other students in the class also reviewed the software, and we were able to share what we had found. I found that some software was incredibly fun, but it did not necessarily have much educational value. Other software can be very educational, but also very boring to play. Here, I will tell you about two of my favorites.

1. Oregon Trail

This computer software has been my favorite since I was a child. In this game, a student actually becomes a pioneer, and travels across the midwest to the Oregon country. A student will have to hunt for food, buy supplies, trade with other settlers, and also keep his or her family alive. Keeping your group alive is no easy task. You can run into rattlers, develop cholera any other disease, exhaustion, and starvation. However, if you can keep everyone alive, you can land and build a new life in Oregon.

http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Trail-5th-Win-Version/dp/B00005LBVS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-2162884-2733461?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1178499395&sr=8-3


2. Math for the Real World

This math computer program is incredibly fun to play! Students learn basic math skills through different games that they must play. The premise of the game is simple: you have a rock band! The object of the game is to play as many shows as you can in order to make money. The more money you have, the more scenes you can have in your music video. You win the game when you create a music video with ten scenes. Students must play games using basic math skills to feed the band, buy gas, and also to actually play the music! This game is so much fun, I doubt any students would think it was boring.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-for-the-Real-World/dp/B00001XDXH/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2162884-2733461?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1178499650&sr=1-1

No comments: