Saturday, May 5, 2007

Favorite Educational Websites

I have found that educational websites can be a very important tool for teachers. Not only do they teach students about both a subject and technology skills, it gives teachers a break from having to plan every aspect of a lesson. Some websites actually teach a lesson themselves, while others can be used to show examples, and even to assess certain skills. Here are three educational websites that I would classify as my favorites.

1. www.edheads.org

This website allows students to perform their own surgeries on patients. What I like about this website is the fact that students have to answer questions before they can perform surgery. The questions even continue during surgery. So while students think they are just playing a fun game, they are actually learning something.

2. www.funbrain.com

This website is full of educational games for kids. As an adult, I have even found most of the games to be enjoyable! I also think this website is good because it reaches several different grade levels. First graders could use this website, as well as fourth or fifth graders. This is good because students in a particular grade may not perform at that level. This website allows students to try games at whatever skill level they want to try.

3. www.discoverychannel.com

This website is not necessarily for kids. However, I have found that it has an amazing amount of information on several different subjects. Students looking for a good website to find information would benefit from using this site. I also like it because, again, it is not necessarily for kids. Student's need to learn to find information that is not always laid out in black and white for them.

No comments: